Wednesday, 24 November 2010

Waris and Liya for H&M

Retired model, award winning international best selling author and UN ambassador Waris Dirie appears in this year's Swedish fashion house H&M's Christmas holiday campaign with Ethiopian model Liya Kebede.
Waris spoke about the campaign
''This summer, I received an invitation from H&M to do a photo shoot together with my friend Liya Kebede, who plays me in the movie Desert Flower.

I have often said that I would never be a fashion model again, except for a special purpose or great idea. But this shoot was not for a normal campaign: the campaign does not simply show models, but people who have a special connection or relationship to each other: close friends, siblings, parents and their children. Liya and I are connected through our common origins in East Africa, we both fight for women’s rights and female health through our own organisations, and we worked on the movie “Desert Flower” together.
We had a lot of fun shooting this campaign in the Milk Studios in New York City with photographer Daniel Jackson. You can see more pictures from this shoot on the H&M website and in H&M stores across the world.
I will invest my fee in a Waris Dirie Foundation project in Africa that I will present in January 2011.
LOVE,
Waris ''

1 comment:

  1. Two truly beautiful East African women.

    ReplyDelete