Wednesday, 14 October 2009

“We dream our lives until we wake,” Pedro Calderon de la Barca

Life Is a Dream, is new play in West End starring the Wire actor Dominic West as Segismundo one of the most celebrated achievement of Pedro Calderón de la Barca One of Spain's best writers and poets of the Spanish Golden era.
La Vida es sueño (Life is a Dream). 
Set in 1635, Segismundo’s father the king of Poland, decides to test a prophecy that his unborn son, the prince Segismundo is pure evil and will bring disastrous havoc to his kingdom. On his birth the king drugs the infant and  puts him in jail. The king goes on and tells his court  that his child has died after child birth. Years later after his son has grown, the king tells his court that his son is infact alive.
He has Segismundo drugged and brought to the palace, arguing that “tendencies can be constrained”. Instead when freed from dungeon Segismundo proves his father right by throwing a servant of the balcony, attempting a rape and acting as he was savage feral animal.
The king has Segismundo drugged again and put behind bars, but it's in the third part where things get interesting. 
Yo sueño que estoy aquí
I dream that I am here
de estas prisiones cargado,
of these imprisonments charged,
y soñé que en otro estado
and I dreamed that in another state
más lisonjero me vi.
happier I saw myself.
¿Qué es la vida? Un frenesí.
What is life? A frenzy.
¿Qué es la vida? Una ilusión,
What is life? An illusion,
una sombra, una ficción,
A shadow, a fiction,
y el mayor bien es pequeño:
And the greatest profit is small;
que toda la vida es sueño,
For all of life is a dream,
y los sueños, sueños son.
And dreams, are nothing but dreams.

It’s really good play and if you get time, I would adivice you to go and see it you’ll love it. 
It's play in the end about free will and fate.
The end is good and I am not going to ruin it

7 comments:

  1. I read the play and saw it Dominic is dream he is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't the find the book and my local book store haven't even heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that McNulty from the Wire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Subhanallah u go to the west end abaayo u need quran

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing play and I didn't get chance to see when it had it run in the west end. I am reading it now part of my Spanish course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous said...
    Subhanallah u go to the west end abaayo u need quran
    30 October 2009 09:38

    And you need a brain, Wallahi you must be an retard

    ReplyDelete